Cloud Solutions • DevOps Engineer • Automation • CI/CD • Microservices
I’m a DevOps Engineer and Full Stack Developer with 30+ years IT experience.
Over the years I have accumulated a wealth of technical experience but have never stood still. I’m a polyglot programmer who enjoys learning new languages. Ideally, I like working within and helping build out modern, agile development environments incorporating fully automated DevOps driven projects. I especially like architecting and building orchestrated containerised microservices using Golang, gRPC, Message Queues, Docker, Kubernetes and / or Azure Service Fabric with CI/CD pipelines publishing to production cloud environments.
Please feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn or phone for a chat…
Please take a copy of my CV for your records
Over thirty years professional IT experience. My career started in 1988 working as a computer engineer. I have been programming since 1981. I am capable of architecting greenfield systems and highly competent when working in existing brownfield deployments. I enjoy continuous learning and mastering new cutting edge technologies.
Programming is a life long passion.
my professional background
I incorporated Domainscanners as a small hosting company that I also use to complete freelance projects and contract assignments. Originally, I single-handedly provisioned and managed all co-located servers. I migrated all server workloads into the Cloud in 2018; first into Azure based VM’s (IaaS), then later I split the workloads into Azure / GCP PaaS and SaaS environments freeing me from VM maintenance.
DevOps Engineer Experience
• Jenkins declarative Pipelines with Groovy and bash shell scripting
• Azure DevOps and Arm templates
• SCM using Git, GitHub, Git hooks
• System Administration and Configuration Management with Ansible
• Continuous Integration, testing, and delivery
• Infrastructure as Code (IaC) with Terraform
• Docker and containers
• Microservice orchestration with Kubernetes and Azure Service Fabric
• Vagrant provisioning of development and test environments
• Implementing monitoring and alerting within a cloud environment
• Notification integration using Microsoft Teams, Slack and Azure DevOps hooks and APIs
• Linux fundamentals and excellent bash scripting skills
• Comfortable working in Linux, MacOS or Windows environments with Windows Subsystem for Linux
Full Stack Development Experience
As a developer I have been writing code for over 30 years and have used many languages, libraries, frameworks and technology stacks.
I am an advocate of Software Craftsmanship best practices and continuously strive at keeping code bases clean, DRY and free from technical debt:• I call upon and implement tried and tested design patterns where possible
• I especially enjoy designing and developing microservice architectures.
• Architecting microservices using Event Storming and Miro
• Domain-Driven Design (DDD) and Command Query Responsibility Segregation (CQRS)
• Event driven microservices with message queues (RabbitMQ and ZeroMQ)
• gRPC, Protobuffers 3 with Golang and C#
• Cloud native modern web 12-factor app development
• Web Components and Polymer Elements
• Progressive Web App development (PWAs)
• Rust and WebAssembly development (Yew framework)
• AMP website and AMP web story development
• TDD and BDD
• MS SQL, MySQL and NoSQL (MongoDB) and Redis
• Azure Serverless Function and Logic App Development
• Next.js and React.js
• .NET Core, MVC and C# dynamic web sites
Notible achievements and experience include…✓ Became an Automation SME using Jenkins and Azure DevOps CI/CD Pipelines
✓ Extended existing system provision and management experience
✓ Learnt to break monolithic systems into de-coupled microservices architectures
✓ Architected and implemented Domainscanners multi-cloud (Azure / GCP) hosting platform
✓ Successful cloud migrations for almost 100 projects
✓ Azure Serverless Function App Development
✓ Microservices Event Storming with Miro
✓ DNS Management
✓ Office 365 provision and management
✓ Microsoft Phone System management and Office 365 integration
✓ Microsoft Teams management
✓ Dynamics 365 provision, management and app development
✓ AMP website / story development
✓ Technical SEO
Delivered Safenames International Domain Name Registration Portal (IDP) used to consolidate international domains.Stack: ASP.NET, C#, SQL.
Worked on Vodafone's mobile portal. I was responsible for writing web based mobile apps that consumed various data feeds such as news, weather, sports scores etc. and delivering a compelling UX for mobile consumers.Stack: WAP, WML, Java, JSP, ASP, C#
Designed and coded internal systems including a company wide telephone contact system that included a WAP access layer so that users could browse intranet contacts on their Nokia 7110 phones. I later extended the system so that users could read and send emails from their phones.Stack: WAP, WML, ASP, VB
How I keep my skills current
GET IN TOUCH
Newport Pagnell, England
+44 (0) 7734 544302
Had too much spam via this form and captcha's suck. Please connect via any Social Media link above.